Winners announced for the 2016 Seatrade Cruise Awards
SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE – The winners of the 2016 Seatrade Cruise Awards, sponsored by Oracle Hospitality, were announced last night during a ceremony at the Auditorio de Tenerife ‘Adan Martin’ in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, as part of Seatrade Cruise Med.
The awards, celebrating their tenth anniversary this year, reward the very best of international cruise industry success and act as an enviable benchmark for excellence throughout the community. This year eight winners were announced throughout an evening of celebration, hosted by Mary Bond, managing director for publishing, Seatrade.
According to Seatrade General Manager, Andrew Williams, the awards had received a record number of entries – over 100 – and reflected the global reach of the cruise industry.
Taking centre stage to rapturous applause was Seatrade Lifetime Achievement Award for Services to Cruising, Mr Erkunt Oner, founder and ceo, Tura Turizm. Described as a great and resolute advocate for the cruise industry spanning for almost 50 years, Mr Oner thanked the audience and said: “This is a great surprise and I am totally honoured to receive such an award. Seatrade has been from the very beginning, the cruise industry’s greatest supporter. And I, throughout my 50 years of experience and work, have also given my unwavering support to the industry.”
In addition, several outstanding individuals were also honoured as winners of the Seatrade Cruise personality awards. Amongst those was a posthumous award for the late Italian architect and interior designer Giuseppe de Jorio who was announced as winner of the Outstanding Contribution Award.
With a career spanning 60 years, De Jorio sadly passed away earlier this year but has left his thumb print and legacy on the interiors of 220 cruise ships, ferries and large yachts. His award was accepted by his son, Marco de Jorio, who paid respect to the long legacy of his father.
Seatrade Personality of the Year Award 2016, sponsored by V.Ships Leisure, was awarded to Mr Mehmet Kutman, Chairman and ceo, Global Investment Holdings and chairman, Global Port Holding. Starting his career in banking, Mr Kutman moved into tourism and now his company is listed on the Turkish stock exchange and is the world’s largest independent cruise port management company and he serves on the board of 11 cruise ports and terminals.
In addition, five industry award winners were selected from a distinguished shortlist by an independent panel of cruise industry experts. Presented to businesses and organisations for their exemplary work in promoting the cruise industry, those honoured on the night included:
- Port of the Year 2016 – ABP Port of Southampton, accepted by Rebekah Keeler, Commercial Manager,
- Destination of the Year 2016 – Singapore Tourism Board, accepted by Jason Chan, Area Director, Northern & Western Europe,
- Supplier of the Year 2016 – B&A Europe (Bermello Ajamil & Partners, Europe), accepted by Luis de Carvalho, CEO,
- Environmental Initiative Award (sponsored by MedCruise) – Old City Harbour, Tallinn (Micro-tunnel construction), accepted by Sirle Arro, Head of Marketing & Communication,
- Innovative Shorex of the Year 2016 – jointly won by Hidden City Tours and Intercruises (Barcelona guided walking tour by homeless), accepted by Christian Bove, Manager, Barcelona for Intercruises.